Did you know: 50 -80 percent of your immune system is centered around your gut?
It’s imperative we nourish our gut in order to ensure our immunity.
I taught yoga and mindfulness in public schools for several years, and I tell you what, there ain’t nothin’ like the illnesses you can pick up from kids in schools. I would contract the most vicious colds and viruses when working there.
With that being said, there are ways to protect ourselves and boost our immune systems. Nobody likes getting sick, and for one reason or another, building a strong immune system is important to ward of any virus or disease that might try and infect you or your loved ones healthy little bodies.
So with that being said here are some tips to help you boost your immunity and develop a superhuman immunity shield!
Here are a list of immune boosting foods:
- Garlic [antiviral, antibacterial, and antifungal compounds]
- Coconut Oil [lauric acid, improve heart and thyroid health]
- Put coconut oil in your smoothies, or a spoonful of it in your morning green tea almond milk latte (YUM) Add some organic lavender syrup (yikes, sugar, but hey) and some lavender buds!!
- Oil Pulling daily- info about oil pulling here: Why you should start oil pulling today
This one needs it’s own heading and picture: Mushrooms
- Mushrooms influence the activity of the immune system
- (vitamin D, B vitamins, vitamin C, Calcium, Protein, Fiber)
- Some especially good mushrooms: Chaga, lion’s mane, cordyceps, and reishi, shitake, maitake
- Herb Tonic: I love putting this in my smoothies, it has reishi mushroom and other yummy herbs that promote a blissful state: Sun Potion: Anandamide Its ingredients include: Raw Cacao*, Tocos*, Mucuna Pruriens*, Ashwagandha*, Reishi Mushroom*, Astragalus**, Maca**, Moringa*, Rose Petals*, Cardamom*, Turmeric*, Cayenne*, Cinnamon*, Black Pepper*, Himalayan, Salt Crystals, Love!,
Back to the list of Immune system building foods:
- Fermented Foods: help promote a healthy balance of favorable bacteria in the gut. Some examples of fermented foods are: sauerkraut, coconut kefir, kimchee, natto, and kombucha
- Apple Cider Vinegar: a shot of this with lemon, honey, ginger and garlic. Makes a great tonic for zapping a cold right out of you. and speaking of…
- Ginger: anti-inflammatory (brew small pieces up in water and make some ginger tea if you’re feeling a little tickle)
- Greens! Green Juice
- Elderberry Syrup (haven’t tried this one…)
- Cruciferous vegetables: like broccoli and brussel sprouts
- Soluble Fiber: flax and chia seeds, beans, and legumes
- Zinc: pumpkin seeds/ oysters/ lean meats/ crab/ chick peas
I love the health food store: Mothers Market maybe they have a location near you! Where are your favorite health food stores?
- Find a good probiotic: Probiotics with these two strains: (Lactobacillus) (Bifidobacterium) 30-50 billion colonies/ 8 strains of bacteria. Double dose if you’re coming down with a cold or have to take antibiotics. Raw is better.
- Intermittent Fasting
- Gargle with warm salt water
- Epsom Salt bath
- Fresh Air
- Reduce Stress
- Stay away from over the counter drugs/prescription medications
I still ate Chik-fil-A today. But I feel like a greasy pile of shit.
Better and better, amirite?!
Cheers to a healthy immune system lovelies!
What are your tips to building up your immune system?